To start, find a comfortable seat of your choice. It doesn’t matter if it’s on the floor, a chair, or your bed. Just take a moment to get really comfy.
Take a deep breath in…
…and exhale out
As you exhale out close your eyes and trust that everything will be okay.
Whatever has happened today, whether you’ve been writing already or working or you’ve been distracted by all the little things that happen throughout the day just let it fall away.
The past is over.
Whatever is still to come, the to-do list, the calendar, your writing time, they’re ahead of you. Just set them aside for now.
As you inhale, fill your lungs with oxygen and let your shoulders relax as you exhale.
As writers, we often hold a lot of stress and tension in our shoulders and neck as we hunch over computers and notebooks all day long. As you continue breathing in and exhaling, check your body over for other areas that might be tense and adjust them as you need to in order to release that tension.
Notice any sounds around you right now.
Maybe it’s quiet.
Maybe it’s noisy.
Don’t push these sounds away even if they annoy you.
Just let them be and continue to breathe.
Notice what it feels like to be alive, today, now as you continue to breathe with your eyes closed.
I’m going to speak these affirmations and you can feel free to repeat them softly or just let them sit with your soul.
- I am creative.
- Ideas flow out of me and onto the page.
- I am fearless.
- I pour my heart and soul into my writing and I am proud of it.
- I don’t allow social standards or expectation to dictate how I feel about my writing because I know that I do my best.
- I strive for progress not perfection.
- I don’t compare myself with others.
- I only compare myself with my past self.
- I am a stronger, better writer than I was at this time last year.
- I am invincible.
- I am worthy.
- I am brilliant.
- I love myself.
- I love my writing.
- I believe in myself.
- I was born to write this story.
- I have an incredible future.
Slowly open your eyes.
You’ve done a great job and are going to do great work. I hope this meditation helps you feel refreshed and ready to write and just in a better, more peaceful state of mind.
Originally posted on August 9, 2021 @ 12:00 pm