Prepare for the jaw-dropping finale of Sabaa Tahir’s beloved New York Times bestselling An Ember in the Ashes fantasy series, and discover: Who will survive the storm? Picking up just a few months after A Reaper at the Gates left off…The long-imprisoned jinn are on the attack, wreaking bloody havoc in villages and cities alike. But for the Nightbringer, vengeance on his human foes is just the beginning.
By his side, Commandant Keris Veturia declares herself Empress, and calls for the heads of any and all who defy her rule. At the top of the list? The Blood Shrike and her remaining family.Laia of Serra, now allied with the Blood Shrike, struggles to recover from the loss of the two people most important to her. Determined to stop the approaching apocalypse, she throws herself into the destruction of the Nightbringer. In the process, she awakens an ancient power that could lead her to victory–or to an unimaginable doom.
And deep in the Waiting Place, the Soul Catcher seeks only to forget the life–and love–he left behind. Yet doing so means ignoring the trail of murder left by the Nightbringer and his jinn. To uphold his oath and protect the human world from the supernatural, the Soul Catcher must look beyond the borders of his own land. He must take on a mission that could save–or destroy–all that he knows.Publisher: Razorbill
Publish Date: December 01, 2020
I own three different copies of every book in this series. I have a physical copy for my bookshelves, I have an e-copy for reading, and an audiobook for listening. It has been a long time since I have loved a series from page one to the end and I still can’t believe the wild ride this one has been.
To try and avoid one long primal scream, let’s pick some highlights from the series:
- When Elias saved Laia from the Commandant.
- When Helene healed Elias by singing.
- When Elias almost killed Helene but she was lucky enough to be wearing special armor.
- When Helene had to hunt Elias down but was slowly growing attached to Harper.
- When the Commandant poisoned Elias
- When Laia first turn invisible
- When Izzie dies
- When Keenan turns out to be the Nightbringer
- Everything about the Nightbringer
- When Elias becomes the Soul Catcher
- When Marcus goes completely insane
- When the ghosts escape and attacked the tribal caravans
- When we learned what the Scholars did to the Jinn
- When we learned that Cook was actually Laia’s mother
- When Helene takes off her mask and gives it to the Nightbringer
- When Elias meets his grandmother’s ghost
- When we learned that the Augurs were actually among the Scholars who tricked the jinn 1,000 years ago
And that’s just the first three books. So let’s talk about Sky Beyond the Storm now.
Deep breath in.
As always, Sabaa Tahir’s prose is unfathomably beautiful and full of new and wonderful words. As a writer myself, Tahir’s work has been, and continues to be, a reminder not to look down on my audience.
Throughout the series her characters have emoted on the page like actors in a movie. Her writing is so clear that I have clear memories in my head of these emotional scenes. I have never felt like I have read her work, more like I experienced it.
And Sky Beyond The Storm is no different.
I spent a long time coming out of my depressive funk by reading through Part 1, which makes up roughly 50% of the book. If anything, I will say that Helene’s sections, although action packed, really slowed the pacing of the book as a whole. And yet, I still don’t feel like I should take a star for it. Even the slowest sections of A Skey Beyond The Storm had meaningful moments (*AHEM* AVITAS HARPER *AHEM*).
Sabaa Tahir has an amazing talent for plot reveals and I cannot discuss it further without ruining multiple books for you (as I may have already with my list at the start of this review).
As the series is over now, I urge you all to get the audiobooks, buy your hardbacks or paperbacks (whichever you prefer), and sit down to enjoy the ride.
Buy Sky Beyond The Storm
Purchase Sky Beyond The Storm through the Bookshop.org, and support your local/indie bookstore as well as Booked All Night.